Posted November 23rd, 2016 under motivation
10 Tips To Get You Through Thanksgiving Without Destroying Your Progress
Tags: thanksgiving, revolutionize
Don’t let Thanksgiving ruin your progress! Here are 10 tips to have your healthiest thanksgiving ever!
- When it comes to the turkey, stick to the breast meat. Peel off the skin and opt for no gravy. You can always bring your own guilt-free condiment like Walden Farms BBQ sauce to top off your turkey with!
- Do not starve yourself in anticipation for the Thanksgiving meal. Eat a nutritious breakfast so you are not tempted to overindulge at the big meal! When it comes to the appetizers, you can enjoy those too! Just practice good portion control, and stick to the lighter choices.
- Do not wolf down your food. Eating slowly and drinking water in between bites are some great techniques for feeling more satisfied with your meal.
- When it comes to the alcoholic beverages, don’t go overboard! You can enjoy some drinks in moderation. Some good choices are plain liquor (not flavored) like vodka with club soda, or a glass of champagne.
- When it comes to the side dishes, simple is best. Most families will have a lighter option like roasted or steamed veggies. Pile your plate high with these and limit the bad stuff. If you must indulge, limit it to one or two small bites.
- When it comes to the desserts, some are better than others. Stay FAR AWAY from pecan pie!!! Pumpkin pie is the better pie of the two, but still loaded with carbs and fat. To make it a bit better opt for a small piece and do not eat the crust. Most families will have an assortment of fruit which is generally your best bet.
- Drink water!!! Make sure you always have a glass with you and when you are tempted to overindulge, take a sip. You can even flavor your water with lemon or opt for seltzer if plain old water sounds too boring. Tea or black coffee are also great, but nothing is better than good old H20!
- When the meal has ended, and you are feeling satisfied, brush your teeth. Brushing your teeth is a great way to send a signal to your brain that you are done eating and the meal is over. If you do not have a toothbrush or toothpaste available, some minty sugar-free gum is the second best thing.
- After the big meal, get moving! Suggest that the entire family goes for a walk. The day after, make sure you are getting into the gym and doing those big compound movements like squats & lunges to burn optimal calories. Leg day is your best bet. You’ll be amazed at how heavy you will be able to lift thanks to the surplus of calories. Do some cardio too!
- Get right back on track the next day. Thanksgiving leftovers are tempting but all it takes is a week of stuffing, pie & mashed potatoes to leave you feeling like crap physically and mentally. Fine-tune your nutrition the next day and even consider going a bit lower on the carbs.
Have a safe & happy thanksgiving!
Written by: Emily Ventura BS Public Health